- 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 4-5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil by Abril
- Salt, to taste
- Spanish Omelette Pan by I-Chef
- Optional: chorizo Extra mild Palacios (for extra flavor and color)
- Prepare the Potatoes and Onions: Cut the potatoes in thin slices and onions. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. The oil should cover the ingredients; add more if needed.
- Cook the potatoes and onions gently, stirring occasionally. You want them to soften but not brown. This process takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain and Season: Once the potatoes and onions are tender, remove them from the pan using a slotted spoon to drain the excess oil. Season with salt to taste.
- Whisk the Eggs: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until well-beaten. Season the eggs with a pinch of salt.
- Combine Eggs and Potatoes: Add the drained potatoes and onions to the beaten eggs. Gently fold them together, ensuring the potatoes are well-coated with the egg mixture. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Heat the Two-Sided Pan: Use a two-sided non-stick pan specifically designed for making Spanish omelettes. Add a little olive oil to both sides and heat it over medium heat.
- Cook: Pour the egg and potato mixture into one side of the two-sided pan. Spread it out evenly. Close the two-sided pan and cook for about 4-5 minutes on one side, or until it starts to set. Then, carefully flip the pan to cook the other side for another 4-5 minutes until the omelette is cooked through and has a golden-brown crust.
- Serve: Slide the Spanish omelette onto a plate. It can be served hot, at room temperature, or even cold, making it a versatile and delicious dish for any occasion.
- Slice and Enjoy: Cut the omelette into wedges, like a pie, and serve with a side of fresh salad, crusty bread, or on its own. Enjoy your homemade Spanish omelette!
The Spanish omelette, or Tortilla de Patata or Tortilla Española, is a classic and comforting dish loved by many. It's perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a tasty tapa. Experiment with additional ingredients like chorizo, herbs, or chorizo, spinach, peppers for your own unique twist on this traditional recipe.