Turkey leftover croquetas with Manchego cheese
Indulge in the delectable world of Manchego cheese turkey croquetas, a delightful twist on the traditional Spanish favorite. Typically made from leftover meats found in Spanish stews or "pucheros," croquetas have become a symbol of resourceful cooking, or the art of making the most of what's on hand and avoid food waste. Today, these culinary gems have evolved to showcase extraordinary ingredient combinations that elevate leftovers to gourmet status.
- 2 cups leftover cooked turkey, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Manchego cheese by Casa Castel
- 2 tablespoons Extra virgin Olive oil by Abril
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Olive oil for frying
- Leftover cranberry sauce for dipping (optional)
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook for a couple of minutes until it turns a light golden color.
- Slowly add the milk while stirring continuously to avoid lumps. Cook the mixture until it thickens and becomes a smooth sauce.
- Add the grated Manchego cheese, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg to the sauce. Stir until the cheese is melted and the seasonings are well incorporated.
- Add the finely chopped leftover turkey to the sauce and mix it in until the turkey is evenly coated. Cook for a few minutes to heat the turkey through.
- Transfer the turkey and cheese sauce mixture to a shallow dish and allow it to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until the mixture is firm.
- Take small portions of the turkey and cheese mixture and shape them into croquetas, usually cylindrical or oval shapes. You can use two spoons to help you give the shape.
- Dip each croqueta into the beaten eggs and then roll them in breadcrumbs until well coated.
- Heat olive oil in a deep fryer or a large, deep skillet to 350-375°F (175-190°C). Carefully place the croquetas in the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown and crispy, usually for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the croquetas from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the Manchego cheese turkey croquetas hot with leftover cranberry sauce for dipping if desired.
This Thanksgiving, break away from the routine turkey sandwich and embark on a flavorful journey with our irresistible recipe. The result is a culinary masterpiece that combines the rich, creamy goodness of Manchego cheese with the savory remnants of your holiday feast. It's the perfect way to savor Thanksgiving leftovers in a whole new light. You won't be disappointed – this recipe is a true culinary gem!